Header content

Main menu

Call us on (03) 9066 3366

Page heading

Legal Services

Main content

Transport Accidents - Claims process - National Compensation Lawyers

Article content

After suffering injury in a transport accident, it is important you act quickly to:

  • report the accident and injuries to the Police, or if an accident involves a tram or train, to the public transport corporation;
  • lodge a claim with the TAC by calling 1300 139 076;
  • obtain a medical certificate on the required TAC form (this can be obtained from the hospital which you were admitted to or your treating doctor).

It is important to act quickly when injured as you only have 12 months from the date of accident to lodge a claim with the TAC. For those injured before their 18th birthday, you have 12 months from your 18th birthday to make a claim. In some exceptional circumstances, this time period can extend to 3 years, however, not thereafter.

What happens once I submit the TAC Claim Form?

Once you have submitted your TAC Claim, the TAC within 21 days, must either:

  • accept or reject your claim; or
  • request you provide further information, or be medically examined by a doctor of their choice; or
  • request further information from another person, e.g. your treating doctor.

After receiving the information requested, the TAC has 14 days to notify you of their decision

If the TAC rejects your claim for compensation or makes a decision which negatively affects your rights, you can appeal their decision to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) an Application to VCAT is to be made within 12 months from the date of TAC decision.

If you are not happy with the decision of the TAC or you wish to obtain further advice, please contact 1300 FEARLESS (1300 332 753) for your obligation-free consultation with a lawyer.