Header content

Main menu

Call us on (03) 9066 3366

Page heading

Legal Services

Main content

Workers Compensation & Comcare - Claims process - National Compensation Lawyers

Article content

Where you have been injured in the course of your employment, there are a number of important steps you should first take:

  • Within the first 30 days, you should report the injury and the circumstances of injury in your employer’s incident report book. If your employer does not have an incident report book, you should write a letter/email detailing your injuries and how they occurred.
  • Obtain and complete a WorkCover Claim for Compensation Form. Please contact National Compensation Lawyers should you require this form or if you require assistance completing this form.
  • Report your injuries to your treating doctor and obtain a medical certificate on the required WorkCover Form.
  • Lodge your Worker’s Compensation Form together with the medical certificate with your employer. You should keep copies of all documents handed to your employer.  

Once you have lodged your Worker’s Compensation Claim, your employer has 10 days to provide this to their WorkCover insurer. If this does not occur, you should forward your claim directly to the Victorian WorkCover Authority.

Once the Authorised Insurer has received your Worker’s Compensation Claim Form and medical certificate, the insurer has a further 28 days to respond in writing. You will likely be medically examined before the insurer makes their decision.

If your claim is accepted, benefits will then be paid by the insurer. For more information on benefits please click here ‘What Benefits Can I Claim?’.

If your claim is rejected and you wish to appeal this decision, you should contact National Compensation Lawyers immediately to obtain a Request for Conciliation Form. An appeal to the Conciliation Service is required to be made within 60 days from the date of decision.

For more information or to arrange an obligation-free consultation with a lawyer, please call us on 1300 FEARLESS (1300 332 753).