Header content


(1300 332 753)

Main menu

Call us on (03) 9066 3366

Page heading

Legal Services

Main content

Transport Accidents - Overview

Article content

If you have been injured in a transport accident, you may be entitled to compensation.

A transport accident is any accident involving a motor vehicle, truck, motorcycle, train, bus or tram. Pedestrians and cyclists may also be entitled to claim benefits.

Compensation in Victoria is paid by the Transport Accident Commission (TAC), a Government organisation which supports those people injured in transport accidents. Other States have similar Authorities. However, different rules apply. We encourage you to contact National Compensation Lawyers to discuss your specific circumstances.

The TAC is a “no fault” scheme. It does not matter whether you caused the accident or whether you can identify the other vehicle or driver involved. Compensation can include:

  • Medical and hospital expenses which includes nursing, disability costs, rehabilitation and support costs.
  • Loss of earnings/earning capacity.
  • Lump sum compensation for permanent injuries suffered.
  • Benefits following the death of a family member.

For those injured in a transport accident where the fault is that of another motor vehicle user, you may also have a Common Law damages claim against the offending driver for your:

  • pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life; and
  • past and future loss of earnings.

When lodging a TAC claim, strict time limits apply. Normally a claim is to be lodged within 12 months from the date of injury. There are some exceptions where this can be extended – see our FAQ section.

The Law surrounding TAC claims is complex. In addition, it is very important to note the TAC will not provide you with independent legal advice or assist you in getting your full compensation benefits. In fact, they will likely be advised by their own solicitors.

If you have been injured in a transport accident, you need expert advice regarding your rights and entitlements. At National Compensation Lawyers (NCL), we provide this advice and progress your claim to ensure the prompt payment of medical bills, loss of income, lump sum payment and other compensation entitlements.  

National Compensation Lawyers offer visiting services throughout Victoria. In addition, if you have an injury which causes you to remain in hospital or render you housebound we will come to you.

National Compensation Lawyers act on a “No Win, No Fee” basis. Simply put, this means that if we do not win, you do not pay our legal fees.  

Please read more about TAC claims in our FAQ section.

Our Commitment to You

National Compensation Lawyers are Fearless. We will take on the TAC.  

National Compensation Lawyers are Determined. We will fight to ensure you receive your maximum compensation entitlements.

National Compensation Lawyers are Compassionate. We genuinely care. We will guide you through the claim or legal process with patience and understanding.

For more information, or to arrange and obligation-free consultation with a lawyer, please call us on 1300 FEARLESS (1300 332 753).